New Christmas

I can't believe it's Christmas already. For some reason this year Christmas has snuck up on me. I decorated our place, I signed cards, I did some shopping, I sang carols, and I went to parties. Yet I'm still in shock that tomorrow is Christmas day. I think the biggest reason for this is the fact that nothing I've done this Christmas season has followed my normal traditions.

My life is completely different than it was last year. Last year I was living in Tulsa, close to all of my family. I left on Christmas day and spent the holiday in Germany and Paris. In the years before that I spent time shopping with my little brother, playing games with my family, swapping 'white elephants', taste testing all of my granny bob's desserts, and hanging out with my parents. Austin, my older brother, would come into town and we'd stay up all night playing games and catching up. I never knew how much all of these little traditions would mean to me until now.

Now I live in Nashville. I'm married. My husband is a pastor of a small Baptist church. His family lives in North Carolina and mine is hundreds of miles away. We're starting our own traditions. This Christmas we are spending time with his family in NC. We've already had a great time catching up with his parents and are getting ready to go have a family dinner. This is our first holiday as a married couple. I'm anxious and nervous to see how I fit into his family's traditions. I'm excited to see how our families are similar and how they are different. I'm excited to get to celebrate the birth of our savior in a new way!

I'm curious to hear stories from other couples about first holidays together. How did you mix traditions? What were some challenges you faced? Any tips? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Off to dinner! I wish you all a very very Merry Christmas!

Comments

4 Responses to "New Christmas"

Julie Abel said... December 24, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Enjoy every minute of it! I love it that you are aware that you are starting new traditions with your new family, and not just letting things happen. It takes a while to get accustomed to, but the process is oh so fun.

Jill said... December 24, 2008 at 9:07 PM

The first year your father and I were married he took me to meet his father's family on one weekend in December and his mom's family the next. I wondered what I had gotten into because he had one BIG extended family. After that we usually spent Christmas Eve with my parents and Christmas Day with his. When my parents moved to Arizona several years later, we made it point to spend Christmas there but could only go once every 3 years. Sometimes we took your MeeMaw with us. (I've always felt especially blessed because my parents and my in-laws became good friends.) There has never been an ounce of competition or jealousy between our families. Now that we all live in the same area again we find ourselves back into our old routine, sharing our time with each family. But reality is that as your grandparents get older and you and your brothers begin your own families, things will change a little more each year. I think it is important to be open minded and ready for new traditions and experiences. I am so happy that you are warm and safe and loved right where you are this Christmas with Matt and his lovely family. Although you are hundreds of miles away tonight, Alyson, you are always at home in my heart.

Anonymous said... December 27, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Flexibility is the key! We, Allison and I, come from very wild families. So, we found ways to mesh both worlds. Being willing to stretch and compromise works. Most of all, set out with the idea that you will both enjoy every minute. Things work themselves out. Allison can always share more!

You have a good husband. He loves and adores you. So, be encouraged. We are praying for you guys as you build your life together. Enjoy your cruise.

Unknown said... December 31, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Alyson, Joey and I are so blessed to have you in our family. You are wonderful. You never should feel nervous about anything. Actually, if you can mesh with the Costner's, Scruggs, and Ledbetter's, then you passed the test of time. Everyone loves you. I am so glad we have had all the times we have had together. We loved playing monopoly, baking fried pies, watching Prancer, and putting the jigsaw puzzle together. We miss you so much already.

We have been praying all week that you and Matthew will have the grandest honeymoon,and a well deserved one.