Summer Recap


Wow this summer is flying by! I feel like school just let out yesterday. I had envisioned a summer of relaxing by the pool with Matt. Going to the gym everyday and hiking in the park. We haven't even been to the pool all summer! Hopefully we can find our way there in the next couple of weeks.

So if I haven't been doing the things I envisioned, what have I been up to?
The last week of May I went to Ft Lauderdale for the weekend to work. I occasionally babysit for a family who lives there. It's a way for me to make a little extra money but not have to work too often.

The first week of June I went to camp with the youth from our church. I had a great time! It reminded me of the days I was a camp counselor and youth sponser...I have always loved camp! It was great to be able to connect with some of the girls and get to know them better. I hope that I can continue to grow some of those relationships I started there.

The day after I returned from camp I headed back to Ft Lauderdale. This time it was a much longer trip. I was there for over a month! One of the weekends we went to Cincinnati for a graduation. I had never been to Ohio before so it was fun to get to go there. The best part of the trip was the week the family went to Hawaii for vacation. Matt was able to come down and vacation with me in FLL. We felt like we were staying at a fancy resort. It was a wonderful time away together.

I got home from Ft Lauderdale the first week of July. About 10 days later I flew to Chicago to meet the same family for their annual family reunion. We stayed in the Drake Hotel on Michigan Avenue. I really like Chicago and would love to go there with Matt for a few days, mostly just to eat and shop. :)

Whew! That brings us to today. For the rest of the summer I'm taking 2 days of professional development per week. I'm also going to get to spend a little time with my family. I'm very excited about that!

School starts August 14th which means I have to report the 10th. I'm teaching Child and Lifespan Development and Family and Parenting. I have only taught Child Development once and never taught the other. I will be calling on all of my friends with children to give me 'real world' examples and experience!

Soon I'm going to try something new on my blog. It will ensure that I'm blogging more regularly instead of once every couple of months or so. :) I'm excited about it and can't wait to get started. Just need to work out a few of the details and such. Stay tuned!

Comments

1 Response to "Summer Recap"

Unknown said... August 4, 2009 at 6:34 AM

I loved teaching these classed when I taught at Shelby High School in the Huskins program. I spent half my career working with kindergarten. Then experience with having a child helped me in that area. You know hands on instead of just book knowledge. You and Matthew could take on a new project. Just hoping. I would really have a reason to come to Nashville wouldn't I? Grandparenting is a whole new ball game they say. I love you Alyson. You will do a wonderful job. You always just step up to the challenge with much success.