Growing Up

Last night I felt like a wife. I know I’ve been married for about 5 months but for some reason, it hit me. I am a wife.

Yesterday, when I got home from work, Matt wasn’t home yet. I had run some errands and got home later than usual. I briefly had an internal struggle of whether to go to the gym or not. ‘Not’ won so I tried on some of my summer clothes instead. Thus confirming I should have gone to the gym…

Anyway, I picked up the kitchen, started the dishwasher, and decided to make dinner. I was making chicken enchilada casserole, just like my mom used to make. Matt got home, kissed me in the kitchen and then went on to finish his phone calls. I caught a glimpse of myself in the kitchen mirror, and that’s when it hit me.

I had a conversation earlier this week with someone about not feeling like a grown-up. We discussed when that feeling sets in because neither one of us felt we had gotten there yet. To be honest, it’s scary! How could I be married?? How could I be that much closer to being a mom?? It seems so far away!

But last night, mixing up enchiladas, I felt it. I am a grown-up. I am a wife. And one of these days (far, far, away) I’ll be a mom. And you know what? That gets less and less scary every day. :)

Comments

3 Responses to "Growing Up"

auntk said... April 22, 2009 at 6:15 PM

most days i still don't feel like a 'grown up'. just keep smiling and laughing and having fun alyson and even though you are actually an adult..you never have to be a 'grown up'.

Unknown said... April 22, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Isn't it interesting how we can move into other chapters of our lives and not feel any different. I mean, how does it feel to be married, mom, retired, old, young, etc. I must admit that my mind tells me everyday that I am not the young woman I used to be, but I am going to live life to the fullest until the as long as God gives me breath to live. My mind tells me I am still the young woman that I was 36 years ago, it is my body that tells me different. I think we all have these feelings. And even after I had Matthew, I had to remind myself that I was a mom. You have been initiated into the sisterhood. Much love to you girl.
“Dance as though no one is watching you. Love as though you have never been hurt before. Sing as though no one can hear you. Live as though heaven is on earth.”

Julie Abel said... April 26, 2009 at 12:23 PM

My "grown up" experience happened about 5 years ago when I was up until 11:30 PM preparing my first Thanksgiving Dinner all on my own. You will never forget this moment.